given my hand issue (like calling it that) and me being told to stay away from the computer, i set up a target (unrealistic, i realise now, but it’s been set and i want try to chase it. no i won’t cheat and read books with just 10 pages!)
100 BOOKS IN 365 DAYS.
from august 2013 to august 2014.
5 months into the challenge and i am only at 28 books. i am never reaching that target at my slow rate. but it’s the dream. the kindle’s been bought, ipad’s been stuffed will multiple e-reading apps. flipkart went on a massive sale recently and i bought more than 14 books for just 1200! the bookshelf is already sagging with the weight and dreams of unread books. i have my path set. (i am like a shopaholic when it comes to books, when i see a bookshop i have to enter, when i see a book that sounds nice i have to get it and i might just never get around to reading it anytime soon. so, my bookshelf is the typical girl’s closet of clothes!)
i wanted to write this post when i finished reading 25 books, quarter century and all… but didn’t get down to it.
presenting the list of books finished in 2013.
i get bored with long book reviews so dividing it into three groups – whether it’s a must read, a maybe or a miss – the 3 Ms of book reading if you must give it a name. if you want to know more about any of the books am sure online reviews will help or leave a comment and i will tell you more 😀
so ready, steady and go!
1. neil gaiman (ng) – the ocean at the end of the road MUST
the emperor series by conn iggulden MUST (read more here)
2. conn iggulden: the gates of rome MUST
3. conn iggulden: the death of kings MUST
4. jhumpa lahiri: the lowland MISS
5. ng: coraline MUST
6. ruskin bond: our trees still grow in dehra MAYBE
7. ng and someone else: inter world MISS
8. ng and someone else: the silver dream MISS
9. ng: the graveyard MUST
10. j. k. rowling: The Cuckoo’s calling MUST
11. ng: Neverwhere MUST
12. ng: Anasi boys MUST
13. conn iggulden: emperor series book 3 MUST
14. conn iggulden: emperor series book 4 MUST
15. ng: american gods MUST
16. ng: stardust MUST – not his best but i still liked it.
17. khalid hosseni: and the mountains echoed MUST
18. rk laxman: mahabharata MISS (surprising, but it’s just a catalog of events and people. only if you just want to know the general gist of mahabharata)
19. eunic de souza: dangerlok interesting but MISS
20. conflicting love – book of poems MAYBE for a few lovely poems
21. salman rushdie: haroun and the sea of stories MUST
22. saadat hasan manto – toba tek singh – stories MUST
23. arthur miller: death of a salesman MUST (read it ages ago and had forgotten it so read it again, really liked it all over again!)
24. vikram seth: beastly tales from here and there MUST for couple of stories. MAYBE for some. he’s really good.
25. sophie kinsella: i’ve got your number MISS (i needed a quick book, and was curious about this author. starts really well and then dies down!)
26. jodi picoult: my sister’s keeper MAYBE if you must :D, it drags a bit though really thought-provoking bits.
27. rene j. cappon: guide to punctuation MUST (or any other book on punctuation. i learnt so much, especially how my love for exclamations is a ‘breathless’ habit. harumph!!!)
just finished: paddy clarke ha ha ha (MUST) and reading bridget jones diary and the edge of reason. yes, you might be surprised i haven’t read it as yet. she’s got a great sense of humour. got a little bored yesterday half way through book one, but like it enough to finish it.
overall, a lot of MUST reads. and if you guys like reading, take up the challenge, its great fun! and discovered one of my favourite authors – neil gaiman.
p.s. if you like my writing, please vote for me at: http://keralablogexpress.com/user/single_participant/383 (keralablogexpress.com) and i might just win a trip to kerala.
7 thoughts on “100 books in 365 days by august 2014: where am i today?”
Wow, Bhavu. Wish I had the stamina to keep up with you, chellam:))) a
From: merry to go around Reply-To: merry to go around Date: Saturday 4 January 2014 12:01 PM To: Geeta Dharmarajan Subject: [New post] 100 books in 365 days by august 2014: where am i today?
> WordPress.com > bhavani posted: “given my hand issue (like calling it that) and me being told > to stay away from the computer, i set up a target (unrealistic, i realise now, > but it’s been set and i want try to chase it. no i won’t cheat and read books > with just 10 pages!) 100 BOOKS IN ” >
Miss to Lowland by Jhumpa Lehiri? There was the only surprise in your list. I loved that book. Anyway, all the best for your century.
yeah avinash. somehow didn’t impress me as her previous two! really enjoyed unaccustomed earth, maladies and namesake… so very high expectations and felt the plot, characters weren’t nuanced enough, too flat. so…
oh don’t know if I’ll have the stamina myself. maybe could read a book of short stories and count them as one each!!! 🙂
Withstanding renal disease? Improve your kidney well being the natural way